Monday, May 30, 2011

Swimming

I have been swimming regularly since 2009, when I was diagnosed with spondylosis and ceased all jogging and high-impact exercises. Although I miss jogging, I found new aspects that I love in swimming.

Exercise-wise, I used to swim breaststroke and freestyle in the ratio 3:1. But the physiotherapist told me not to swim breaststroke at all, because the leg movements may jolt and injure my lower back. It was tough swimming only freestyle at first, but after some time I got used to it. Now I can swim many laps in freestyle without really feeling too tired.

However, what I really discovered was that swimming helps me to relax. As my friends and colleagues know, I am always in a rush - because I know what I am going to do next, and I do not want to waste any time, especially during the traveling process. By traveling, I am not referring to overseas traveling but rather, commuting or just taking a train down to town. I walked so fast that a colleague, who was chasing after me, was actually panting heavily when she reached me. 

But when I am overseas, I slow down significantly, because part of what I intend to do is to enjoy the scenery, the new sights and smells. 

When swimming, my mind settles, and I finally have time to stop and think. While some of these thoughts are admittedly on what stuff I am going to do next, I also think about different things. And the sense of serenity I get is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment