Sunday, November 11, 2012

iPhone 5's battery life

I just got my iPhone 5 around a month ago. Compared to my iPhone 4, this was noticeably lighter, and of course, the wider screen was a plus as well (though most apps still do not utilise it and stuck to their screen size and resolution). 

The camera was also much better, and taking a panoramic picture is easy - ridiculously easy, I should say. Here's a sample I took while at my company retreat:



However, I have a huge gripe over its battery life, which was poor to the point of being disgusting. My iPhone 5 with low usage has poorer battery life compared to my two year old iPhone 4 with high usage! I could practically see the battery draining as I use it; for example, after a few minutes of using Whatsapp, it dropped by 7%. wtf?

To make things worse, the lightning cable isn't really very cheap and plentiful now, so I have to carry it around. This is a big contrast compared to my iPhone 4, where I have five or more charging cables at home and office, so I could practically charge them anywhere. Googling didn't help - other than the obvious suggestions like turning off location services, reducing screen brightness etc, I tried resetting to factory settings (which some claimed to have worked), but to no avail. Another thread mentioned that the biggest source of battery life issues with the iPhone 5 lies with not setting up the phone as a new one (many people port over their old phone data), but hey, there's no way I am going to forgo all my app data for this! 

I am hoping that this is an iOS 6 issue, and that further upgrades will help solve the problem. Meanwhile, I will wait for lightning cables and converters to drop in cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment