Sunday, March 17, 2013

Gout is ouch

Had some drinks with my colleague two nights ago, and I admit that I had a bit too much and was half drunk. When I reached home at around 130am, I felt a slight pain in my right knee - that's strange, considering that I didn't fall down on knock it against anything the whole day.

The next morning, it was slightly worse, but I could still get around with just a slight limp. I drove out to Marina Square to attend a piano recital, and throughout the day, the pain got worse until I was really limping. While driving to the dinner venue, I knew that I couldn't make it anymore - even driving was a feat, as the pain was worst whenever I switched from stepping on the brakes to the accelerator and vice versa. In the end, I cancelled dinner and used two feet to drive - left foot on the brakes.

I already knew the cause of the pain - gout. I got it on my right ankle exactly three years ago - and did a blood test, which came out mildly positive on the uric acid part. Since then, I have been reducing my food intake in terms of purines - the worst culprits were offal and beer, which I have reduced significantly. But alcohol in general was also a trigger, as it interferes with the elimination of uric acid from the body. So I guess that the multiple servings of whiskey that night really caused it to happen.

I doubt if I would be able to go for work tomorrow, as my right knee is still painful and swollen. The affected area even felt very warm, and I had to resort to using a walking stick these two days. Oh well. Looks like I really need to watch my food (and alcohol) intake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment