Sunday, March 24, 2013

Moonlight and Melancholy

I have been feeling a bit troubled lately, mainly due to work. And somehow, this was conveyed very strongly when I played the piano today. Due to my mood (actually, I was feeling melancholic as well), I selected solemn and slower songs to play - Beethoven's Piano Sonata No.14 in C sharp minor Op.27 - Adagio Sostenuto (more commonly known as Moonlight Sonata) and Beethoven's Piano Sonato No.8 in C minor, Op.13 - Adagio Cantabile (also known as Sonata Pathetique). 

Although I have played these pieces many years ago, today was very different - I felt totally drawn in by the music, and somehow the left hand's octaves near the beginning of the piece reminded me of church bells ringing mournfully in the distance. And while playing, I felt myself struggling as I brought out the emotions of the piece, never so powerfully before. I doubt if I had ever played this piece so well or felt moved by it as much as today. Which would probably not be possible if not for my mood today.

While my troubles were still there, I felt immensely better after playing. In actual fact, nothing has changed - my circumstances are still the same. But somehow, I felt a calm inside me, slowly pushing away my troubled thoughts.

This is why my piano never fails me. It is always there for me, for me to seek refuge in, for me to communicate using my fingers, without words.

No comments:

Post a Comment