Sunday, July 10, 2011

Apocalypse Jr. Burger

After watching a Youtube video on the "Apocalypse Burger", I decided to create my own version of it (with fewer and cheaper ingredients) and invited a few of my close friends over to try.

The original Apocalypse Burger consisted of the following ingredients (from bottom to top): bun, pork belly, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, bacon ends, foie gras, bun. This artery-clogging burger is obviously too much for normal humans to handle, so I scaled it down rather significantly. 

Anyway, here's the full menu, designed by the gf:

An American diner menu design. 

The wild mushroom soup was just Campbell soup, but I added extra mushrooms for a richer mushroom flavour. Ice cream was obviously from King's, while I got the Vanilla Coke from the ABC Bargain Centre at Potong Pasir. It didn't taste like the original Vanilla Coke though, and on closer inspection, I realised that it was from China. 

For the main course, I termed it "Apocalypse Jr. Burger", because it only had two beef patties instead of four. Its big brother also had 4 more slices of cheese, foie gras (substituted by duck liver pate), but no sunny side up. 

The end product:

Apocalypse Jr. Burger. Somehow, the egg yolk reminds me of a Cyclops' eye. From bottom to top: Bun, pork belly, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, beef patty, cheese slices x 2, bacon, sunny side up, liver pate, bun
 Before taking the picture, I should have opened up the baked potato a bit more, because it just looked like a dark lump. Oh well.

The process wasn't too difficult or too expensive. I bought most of the ingredients from NTUC Fairprice Finest. In total, they cost around $80, out of which $36 was contributed by the ten beef patties. The liver pate was also pretty expensive - one can of it cost me $8.50, and it was already the cheapest alternative out there.

Lessons learnt from this session:

1) The beef patties were already seasoned. I didn't know it and seasoned it with sea salt, so it turned out too salty.
2) The microwave works wonders when it comes to getting crispy bacon. It is cleaner, faster, and you get bacon that is crispier than if you had pan fried it.
3) Bacon shrinks by almost 50% after putting it in the microwave! I should have bought much more.
4) I should have smeared a thicker layer of pate on the bread and toasted it in the oven, instead of pan-frying the bread and applying the pate.
5) Final lesson: Even the Apocalypse Jr. Burger was too much for most of us. I should have just used one beef patty!

No comments:

Post a Comment