Monday, July 18, 2011

Picking up cello again... should I?

I used to play the cello a long time ago. Picked it up (involuntarily) in secondary school when I joined the String Orchestra. At that time, I wanted to learn the violin, but due to my larger physical frame I was told to learn the cello instead. (I still remember the teacher saying very bluntly "你比较胖,所以应该学大提琴" What the hell.) But I had no regrets.

The last time I touched a cello was 12 years ago, so my skills are definitely rusty now. But throughout these years, I have still been listening to cello music, and somehow, the timbre of the cello makes my heart stir. It could be because the cello range is closest to the human voice, which explains why it resonates more easily with us? 

I have been considering picking up cello again for the past 5 years. Factors against it were lack of time, cost, space, focusing on my piano, finding a good teacher, and other matters (like studies). 

But maybe now it's time to take it up again...

No comments:

Post a Comment