Sunday, August 25, 2013

A promise is a promise

Around five years ago, when we had just shifted to our new place, I decided to invite some of my cousins over for a barbeque downstairs. It then became a split two-generation event - the younger generation (yes, my generation) would barbeque downstairs, while my parents and other relatives would be having dinner upstairs. 

Before they came, I was busy preparing the food. Garfield, as usual, was walking around and poking his nose into everyone's business. I squatted down and told him that later we would be having guests over, and I would bring him downstairs too to join in the fun.

After they came, I got so busy running up and down that I decided to leave Garfield upstairs with the relatives. Being such a busybody dog, he should be sufficiently entertained with the big group upstairs, I thought. 

An hour or so into the barbeque, my mother called me. 

"Are you downstairs? Why didn't you bring Garfield? Did you know that he was so down and upset that even though everyone was around, he is now sulking alone in your room?"

I was taken aback. Garfield never fails to be around when we have guests, because he was just so... kaypoh. In fact, if we isolate him away from the guests, he would even get angry. But more importantly, did he really understand my promise to him? 

So I rushed upstairs to bring him down. True enough, I found him alone in my room, with the lights off. He was lying on his bed but he wasn't sleeping. Gosh, he was really upset and sulking!

I called out to him, and I could literally see his eyes brighten up. He rushed over in delight, and once he was downstairs, he was his usual self again, walking and sniffing around, but always near our group.

I felt quite guilty over the whole incident. I know I made a promise to Garfield, but for a dog to understand it so well... 

No comments:

Post a Comment