Saturday, June 11, 2011

Facebook and online privacy

Recently, it was reported that Facebook has compromised the online privacy of millions of its users. How? Because it had turned on the facial recognition module without asking for their consent.

I actually find this module quite helpful - after I upload my pictures, this module automatically identifies the people in my photos and tag them at a preview page. If I am okay with the tags, then Facebook 'mass-tags' all my photos. 

How the technology works is that it analyses the faces in the pictures, and then tries to find matches among all the pictures. If it does, it will suggest the tags. 

While I do agree that Facebook should have asked users for their permission before rolling out this feature, I don't really see what the big deal is. This is because this feature is not done retrospectively - Facebook does not go back to all your old photos and tag all your friends without your consent. It is only done on new photos uploaded, and the user still has the final say as to whether to accept the tags or not. Secondly, only your friends are suggested. It's not as if Facebook tags everyone on the photos, friends and strangers alike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment