Saturday, June 11, 2011

You are not answering my question

I have always been quite particular when it comes to making enquiries. Yesterday, I emailed Standard Chartered Bank to ask about their new online stock trading platform. This was what I sent:

"Hi, I am interested in opening an online trading account with Stanchart. Do let me know the procedures. I would prefer to be contacted via email. Thanks."

I wasn't expecting them to get back to me by today (their customer service is not really well known for being efficient) so I was pleasantly surprised to get their reply today. But after reading it, I thought that they might as well don't reply.

"Thank you for your email dated 10th June 2011. Please be informed that you may register via Online. For the online trading demo via online, kindly refer to the link below: 

http://www.standardchartered.com.sg/personal-banking/investment/online-trading/demo/demo.swf

Alternatively, you may walk in to the branch for further assistance. The application forms for Online trading can be obtained from the branches. 

Have a pleasant day."

I found this rather unhelpful. Firstly, I had tried to register online but couldn't find anywhere to do so. Telling me that I can register online but not telling where to do so is pointless. I know that I did not mention that I couldn't find the link, but if you are telling me how to do so, why not just go one step further? Not everyone can navigate through your maze of a website to search for a specific thing.

Secondly, I didn't ask for the demo. While it's thoughtful for them to recommend it, it's ironic that they provided the exact link and information for something I did not ask for, but for my exact enquiry, they gave a very brief and useless reply. 

Finally,  everyone knows that you can walk in to the branch to apply. The reason why I am sending an email is precisely because I do not want to walk in to the branch.

I replied them asking for the exact link. Let's see if they can screw this up as well.

Update as at 13th June 2011: Stanchart called me today, asking if I was an existing customer (which was already indicated in the enquiry form I submitted via their website). Since I was, I just had to log in to my internet banking account and click on the "Online Trading" link. The online instructions after that were pretty straightforward and simple, and since I was already an existing customer, no further information was required. This is definitely a plus for them.


Update as at 26th June 2011: I just read this post again and realised that maybe the customer service personnel meant that I could register via "Online Banking" - but they left out the "Banking" word. This probably explains why the "Online" had a capital "O". 

No comments:

Post a Comment