Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunset Grill & Bar @ Seletar Air Base

Went to Sunset Grill & Bar (at Seletar Air Base) last evening for dinner. The place was well known for its Buffalo wings, whose spiciness levels range from 1 to 10 (officially, on the menu) and unofficially, 11 to 35. While I love spicy food, my stomach isn't really that strong, so I wisely avoided the ridiculous levels. As my friend put it before - my tongue can take it, but my stomach can't.

I was with two friends, and one of them couldn't really take food that was too spicy, so initially we decided to order half-dozen level 2 and another half-dozen level 6. But after I looked at their pricing, I decided to just order one-dozen level 2.

Which brings me to how they price their Buffalo wings. While it is understandable that the higher the spiciness level, the more expensive it is (despite chilli powder being dirt cheap), how they decide on the incremental pricing confounds me. Let's take a look at the prices for half-dozen Buffalo wings in levels of spiciness.

Level 1: $18.70
Level 2: $19.70
Level 3: $21.00
Level 4: $21.00
Level 5: $22.00
Level 6: $22.00
Level 7: $23.00
Level 8: $23.50
Level 9: $24.00
Level 10: $24.60

If we look at the incremental prices, it goes like this:

$1.00 --> $1.30 --> $0.00 --> $1.00 --> $0.00 --> $1.00 --> $0.50 --> $0.50 --> $0.60

which seems like a totally random increment. How did they come up with this, I wonder? With a 6-sided and 7-sided dice?

A dozen Buffalo wings cost significantly less than twice the price of half a dozen. For example, a dozen Buffalo wings (level 2) cost $31.60. This is only 60.4% more than half a dozen. Thus, if we had gone ahead with our initial decision it would have cost us $19.70 + $22.00 = $41.70 instead of $31.60. This also means that we would be paying $10.10 more for just some extra chili powder on six Buffalo wings!

Having said that, they were delicious. They were not too oily, the chicken was fresh and extremely tender, and the skin was slightly crispy. At level 2 it was totally not spicy for me, but they still made a great dish.

By the way, the reason why they are called Buffalo wings is because they originated from Buffalo, New York. The residents there call them "wings" or "chicken wings" rather than "Buffalo wings", though.

No comments:

Post a Comment