Thursday, November 3, 2011

Uncle, take it easy lah

I used to see this irritating uncle in the morning when I take the Circle Line MRT to work. He is perpetually in a rush, and when the train arrives at Lorong Chuan, he would get off the cabin and move to the head of the train - so that he is closest to the escalator at the next stop, Bishan. And he would time himself such that he goes into the cabin last. Why? So that he can be the first to get off. 

After not seeing him for several months, I met him again this morning. This time, he was already at the train head, standing right in front of the train doors. When the train doors opened, he grudgingly moved aside slightly to let people in. I happened to be the last, so I (purposely) took his original spot. I could tell that he was a bit flustered and irritated as he kept on throwing quick glances at me. A few seconds later, he even tried to inch towards me in an attempt to position himself better to be the first one out. But I stood my ground and even put my paper-bag strategically beside me to fend him off. All this while I had my eyes fixed on my PSP.

So when the train reached Bishan, I was the one first out. Unsurprisingly, he quickly overtook me and half-ran up the escalator to catch the North-South train. I looked at the sign - 'Train Arriving' (which actually means Train Arrived) - and from the number of people who were walking in my opposite direction, I figured that the train would be leaving soon and I wouldn't make it. So I took it easy. 

Uncle didn't, however. When I reached the North-South train, the train had just left and he was nowhere in sight. Evidently, he had managed to catch the train. Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment