Thursday, November 3, 2011

The 30s syndrome

Today, I had lunch with an old friend I have known since JC. So this makes 2011 the 14th year I have known him.

He said that he is feeling old, now that he is 30 years old. He used to go clubbing almost every weekend, drink till 3 to 4am and go home roaring drunk, and spend hundreds of dollars in the process without batting an eyelid. But now, he prefers to stay at home or to spend more time with his girlfriend. He used to drink iced water whenever possible; now he drinks warm water. It's the thirties-syndrome, he claims. 

If this is the case, it seems that I have reached 30 years old at least 4 to 5 years ago. If I get requests to go clubbing on a Friday or Saturday night, I would decline them 90% of the time. To me, such activities are a waste of time and money, and I would need to spend the whole weekend recuperating. I would rather do what I do every weekend - having breakfast with my mother and my dog, swimming, practising the piano or cello, going out with my girlfriend, and clearing some work so that I don't have to work too late on weekdays. 

Such activities give me a strong sense of self-satisfaction and fulfillment, and I would feel that my weekend has been utilised fully and not wasted on sleeping.

On the issue of drinking warm water, I used to drink cold water all the time too, including early in the morning. If there was no cold water available, I would even add ice (an ex-colleague looked aghast when she saw me do that at 830 in the morning). Now, it's room temperature water for me most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment