Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Old Stall Famous Hokkien St Prawn Noodles @ Hong Lim Food Centre

Finally found a place selling decent prawn noodles that is of a reasonable distance from my office! Before this, if I had a craving for prawn noodles, I only had two choices - 大路虾面 from China Square Central, and another one from Circular Road (I forgot its exact name). The former tasted horrible, while the latter was still arguably acceptable but comes with atrocious service (they spilled soup on me and did not even bother to apologise). Unsurprisingly, I boycotted both. So it was a pleasant surprise that I found out about Old Stall Famous Hokkien St Prawn Noodles from Hong Lim Food Centre.

Prawn soup (without noodles) with prawns and pork ribs, $5

It's easy to rate this bowl of soup based on three things - simply, the soup, pork ribs, and prawns. Let's start from the soup first. 

The soup was not bad, but definitely nowhere as good as Hoe Nam Prawn Noodles or Penang Road Cafe, which I have blogged about previously here. However, what gave the soup a big boost was its chilli powder. The stall owner kept on asking me to be generous with the chilli powder, which I did gladly. And yes, it really made a difference. I wouldn't say that the soup tasted fantastic after that, but it was good enough to satisfy my prawn mee craving. 

The pork ribs were surprisingly good. The meat was tender and fresh, which was a big difference over Penang Road Cafe's. The prawns were shelled, to my relief; I detest eating shelled big prawns with just chopsticks and a spoon. They tasted decent; nothing really special about them.

If you happen to work near Raffles Place, this is arguably the best place you can go for prawn noodles. The stall is on the 2nd floor of Hong Lim Food Centre, and if you do order from here, remember to add more chilli powder into the soup. And order it with pork ribs!

No comments:

Post a Comment