Friday, April 15, 2011

Time to rebalance my unit trust portfolio

Despite having attained my CFA charter last year, today is the first time I sat down and took a long, hard look at my unit trust portfolio. True enough, it required quite a lot of tweaking.

Before I looked at my portfolio, I thought about what my strategic allocation should be so that I would not be influenced by what I have now, and whether each investment had made profits or not. It took me a while, but this was what I came up with.

Core portfolio - 70%
Asia ex Japan Equity - 12%
Asia ex Japan Balanced - 5%
Emerging Markets - 9%
Europe Equity - 9%
Global Bonds - 7%
Singapore Equity - 10%
Singapore Fixed Income - 9%
US Equity - 9%

Supplementary portfolio - 30%
Commodities - 5%
High Yield - 3%
Taiwan - 5%
Technology - 7%
China - 10%


But my actual allocation was:

Core portfolio - 70.09%
Asia ex Japan Equity - 19.63%
Asia ex Japan Balanced - 12.86%
Emerging Markets - 5.52%
Europe Equity - 0%
Global Bonds - 0%
Singapore Equity - 12.77%
Singapore Fixed Income - 19.31%
US Equity - 0%

Supplementary portfolio - 29.91%
China - 11.32%
Commodities - 4.55%
High Yield - 2.31%
Taiwan - 4.87%
Technology - 6.87%



Well, well. Surprisingly, it seems that my supplementary portfolio is pretty much in line, but my core portfolio required some major rebalancing.

So I switched a portion of Asia ex Japan Equity/Balanced and Singapore Fixed Income into Emerging Markets, Europe Equity, and US Equity. I also topped up into Global Bonds. After my switches and purchases get priced, I will update it on another entry.

The recommended core portfolio should be around 80%, but I have a longer time horizon and can take more risk, so I allocated an extra 10% to my supplementary portfolio to 'play around'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment