Saturday, September 10, 2011

Chaos Rings

Chaos Rings - Escher and Musiea at each other's throats, literally.
Source: App Chronicles

Finally, a good mobile RPG. And by good, I refer to the gameplay and plot. I have played several mobile RPGs that were decent in gameplay, but the plot was always thin, mediocre, and without substance. Chaos Rings is none of that, and it offers an epic storyline and great gameplay.

You can choose to play as one out of four available couples, and the replay value is great as you can play as the other couples, understanding things from their perspective and revealing more of the plot. The story is dark, and offers some interesting and surprising twists which kept me hooked till the end. The music was excellent too. Graphics were all right, but since it was more for an iPhone game (I installed it on my iPad) I suppose it would look clearer and sharper on my iPhone instead. I should have gotten the HD version on iPad, damn it...

The app is well-tested and stable. It has never crashed on me before, not even once, and if you shut down the app without saving, the game will let you continue from where you left off, or let you revert to a previously saved game. Then again, maybe it's because I only purchased this from the App Store four months ago - the game was actually released on April 2010 - and Square Enix had plenty of time to fix all the bugs (if any). A recent update actually introduced voice acting into the game, which was really a nice touch. The only downside is that the update increased the app size from 273MB to 698MB.

The game is expensive, at US$12.99, but I got it when it was on sale (only US$3.99), so it was really worth it. Chaos Rings Omega HD is now available on the App Store at US$14.99, but I will probably wait for the price to drop first before purchasing it. Yes, this time I am definitely getting the HD version instead.

Update as of 24th Sep 2011: 
Just completed the game with all four couples, all at maximum level 100, with 108% achievements. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment