Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stair-climbing

After a conversation with my colleague, I decided to take up stair-climbing again. But this time, to do it seriously. Previously, climbing the stairs was just a supplement to swimming, where I would climb to the 20th floor where I stay after a swim. But now, I decided to make it a primary activity. 

So yesterday, I took the lift down to the 1st floor and started the climb. What I did was, I would climb all the way to the 24th floor, then take the lift down to the 1st floor again, then repeat. On the way down, I would take the opportunity to stretch my legs. In total, I managed to hit 100 floors in 35 minutes.

My legs weren't that sore after that, so I expected the pain to come the next morning. But strangely, I didn't feel any aches today at all. I should do this regularly! I went to read up on the benefits of stair-climbing, and here are some important points:

- It's free!
- It supposedly burns about twice as many calories than any other sport or activity.
- It is an intense exercise that can increase our heart rate quickly, so it helps in our cardiovascular fitness.
- It can help to build bone strength as it is weight bearing.
- It is low impact and safe for the knees. Just remember to take the lift down after a climb.
- It leverages on gravity, so the heavier we are, the harder it is and the more calories we burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment