Monday, April 1, 2013

104% of maximum heart rate

While using the elliptical trainer this morning during my gym session, I decided to push myself harder. At the end of the session, I used the handle bars to measure my heart rate. It came up to a shocking 195. And I felt somewhat uncomfortable for the rest of the day in an indescribable way. 

So I went to check up on exercising and heart rates. Various websites gave around the same information, that the maximum heart rate should be 220 minus your current age and that while exercising, we should always target a heart rate of 50% to 85% of our maximum heart rate.

That makes my maximum heart rate 188, and a target exercise heart rate of 94 to 160. How the hell did I manage to hit 195, which is more than my maximum heart rate? Either the machine was faulty, or I really over-exerted myself. But one thing for sure is that I should definitely lower the intensity of my workouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment