Monday, April 15, 2013

Still or sparkling water?

"Sir, would you like still or sparkling water?"

This is a trap which restaurants like to use. It gives you the impression that you only have these two choices. But either choice will probably make you poorer by around ten bucks, when plain iced or warm water would do. I had lunch with some colleagues today, and one of them came early and fell for it, ordering two bottles of still water. On the same note, compared to sparkling water, still water does sound a bit like plain water, so I suppose this helps to re-emphasise the trap.

I remember falling for it at Seoul Garden several years ago too. At the counter, I was asked if I wanted ginseng or tom yum soup base. Thinking that I had to choose between the two, I went for ginseng - and was promptly charged an additional few dollars. Only after we had eaten halfway did we realise that we could have just opted for the plain soup base!

Maybe I should use it in my job too.

"Sir, would you like to top-up $500,000 or $1,000,000 into your portfolio?"

"Madam, which one do you want? A $1,000,000 term plan or a $100,000 whole life plan? Both cost the same..."

"Boss, I am okay with an increment of either $1,000 or $1,200. Which one would you give me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment