Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hippopotamus @ Marina Square

I have passed by Hippopotamus several times and made a note to myself to visit it some day, and the day came when I saw it on the Palate program. Visited here for dinner on a weekday.


French onion soup, $8.90
Normal french onion soup. Nothing special, but nothing really wrong with it either.


Fried calamari, $3
This was a promotional item. At $3, it would appear to be a real steal. But don't order it. The calamari was not fresh and tasted a bit fishy and odd.


Classic ribeye, 220g, $24.90
Their menus had two different categories of steaks - the premium and the normal ones. I ordered the normal one. It is probably NZ beef, which is cheaper (and less tasty). I found the beef lacking in beef flavour. And I asked for it to be done medium rare... but it came out closer to rare.

This isn't medium rare.


Hippo Bacon Burger, $17.90
We decided to "diversify" our orders and not focus on steaks only. So we chose one of their burgers. This was so-so only too. But the sides that we selected were quite a let-down. The potato gratin was practically tasteless and we discarded more than half of it, while the ratatouille was also too bland.


After I asked for the bill, I noticed that the shop name written on the bill was "Swensen's". So they are both under the same holding company, ABR Holdings Limited! Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment