Monday, June 3, 2013

Tonkotsu King Four Seasons @ Bugis Village

Ramen Keisuke Tonkotsu King Four Seasons (what a mouthful!) is the newest ramen outlet opened by Keisuke Takeda, on top of the existing Tonkotsu King, Tori King, and Ramen Keisuke Dining. Each one features a unique theme, and as the name suggests, the theme of this outlet is the four seasons. Even the interior of the restaurant had been designed to fit the theme; my friend and I passed through all four seasons as we walked through. In order, it was spring, summer, autumn, and finally winter. We sat at the winter section.

Winter section
It was certainly comforting to see the usual free-flow bean sprouts and hard boiled eggs on the table! Being a big fan of bean sprouts, I never had to worry about not having enough food at any of the Keisuke outlets. Because whatever empty space in my stomach could always be filled with bean sprouts.

As I came here with only one friend, we only managed to try two seasons - autumn and summer.


Autumn ramen with egg, $14.90
Autumn ramen comes with a mixture of three different types of mushrooms - eringi, shimeiji, and shiitake - and these were stir-fried before blending into a fine paste along with some bonito. I took a sip of the soup first before mixing the paste in. It was quite thick and rich, but a little on the salty side. I actually thought it tasted like chicken broth, but the menu said the soup was tonkotsu... hmm. But I learned later that it was a mixture of chicken and pork bones.

After mixing, the resultant broth was one that was just right, as the mushrooms helped to neutralise a bit of the salty taste. This was delicious! And the soup wasn't too oily, maybe due to the presence of chicken broth in it. Compared to Menya Musashi's, I think this should be considerably less oily, also because I wrote "no oil" on my order sheet. 

The char siew was also excellent, much better than their other outlets. It was tender and juicy, and yet not too fat. I am not sure which part of the pig they used - I suspect it was the cheeks. I hope they still use this during my next visit.


Summer ramen with egg, $15.90
My friend ordered this, their Summer ramen. Although I love spicy food, I tend to avoid spicy ramen, as I think the spice spoils the natural flavour of the soup. The soup base is the same, except that they added a special powdered mixture that consists of cayenne pepper, Szechuan pepper, and ground pork. I think there was some miso too, but I wasn't too sure. It wasn't as spicy as it looks though. I still prefer the Autumn bowl over this.


Other than Autumn and Summer, they still have Spring (with basil and parmesan cheese), Winter (plain tonkotsu broth), and King (topped with ginger stir-fried pork). I wonder what I will try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment