Thursday, September 5, 2013

Chikuwa Tei @ Mohammed Sultan

A close friend has been recommending Chikuwa Tei for the past two years, and was visibly miffed when she found out that I still haven't tried it yet. So this time, I paid it a visit with her for a weekend dinner.

I had called the place to make reservations, and was told that they only had two seatings - 6pm and 830pm. We took the 830pm slot, since I usually can't leave office on time.


Chirashi Sushi, $25
This was obviously their trademark dish. It consists of four different types of sashimi - salmon, mekajiki (swordfish), maguro (tuna), and tai (sea bream), and they all looked delightfully thick and generous. The sashimi were all fresh too, and the sea bream was definitely one of the best I have ever tasted. With the fish roe topping, this dish is a good way to have it all in one bowl.


Uni sashimi, $18
As it was a special occasion, I ordered some uni (sea urchin) sashimi to try. But I must admit that my standards for sea urchin are very high, after I first ordered it in Taiwan - which was so fresh and good, and yet so cheap. This one was still below Taiwan's by a few notches, but I guess I can't expect too much from Singapore.


I am definitely coming back here again. Reservations are a must, and it's a pity that it is not located near any MRT station, so you would either need to drive or be prepared to walk a longer distance. But it is definitely worth the time and trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment