Monday, October 31, 2011

No Name Hainanese Curry Rice @ Beo Crescent

Before I came here, I was actually trying out Meng Kee Char Kway Teow (refer to my previous post), because it was just a three-minute walk away from here (Blk 40 Beo Crescent). But this stall was much tougher to find, which makes its name especially apt. I actually walked past this stall twice without realising it.

No Name Hainanese Curry Rice, with fried pork, chup chye, and minced pork. $3.70
The queuing was tortuous to me. Not because the queue was long - there were only eight to ten people in front of me, and the queue was clearing quite quickly. Rather, it was due to the stuffiness of the coffee shop. Ventilation was very poor, and coupled with the sweltering mid noon heat, I could feel the beads of sweat trickling down my back as I queued. This had better be worth it, I told myself. 

Well, it turned out to be pretty good, fortunately. The fried pork was excellent! It was crispy, succulent, and yet not oily. A quick look around confirmed that seriously everyone ordered the fried pork. Another look at how much fried pork the stall has further affirmed its popularity.

The rice, curry gravy (which is totally not spicy) and chup chye form the basic core of Hainanese curry rice, and theirs was delicious. The minced pork was also pretty good.

This is really cheap and good! Now, I find this much more worth travelling from home (I stay near Bishan) for instead of Meng Kee Char Kway Teow.

No comments:

Post a Comment