Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happycall Pan and steaks

After I got the Happycall Pan, cooking steaks has become an entirely different game. For one thing, I am much more inclined to fry steaks now instead of roasting or baking, as it is so easy and convenient. One big inconvenience with frying steaks using a normal pan is that the kitchen usually ends up in an oily mess due to the oil splattering out from the pan, but with the Happycall Pan, this isn't an issue anymore. Additionally, if the steak has some visible fat on it, you don't even need to add any oil.

However, steaks cook faster using the Happycall Pan, so the timing would have changed significantly. After various experimentations and attempts, this is what I summarised, assuming all steaks are medium rare:

Normal steaks (around 2cm thick)

1 min 30 seconds for each side, then turn off the fire and let it stay for another 30 seconds for the steak to continue to cook more uniformly and for the juices to come out.


Thick steaks (around 2.5cm to 3cm thick)

1 min 45 seconds for each side, let it stay for 30 seconds.


Thin steaks (around 1.5cm thick)

1 min 15 seconds for each side, let it stay for 30 seconds.


Foie gras

I got this right on my first attempt, fortunately! Just 25 seconds on each side would do. But the foie gras I bought was quite thick, so after I turned off the fire, I flipped it onto its sides for a while more to cook it more evenly.

Update as of 6th October 2012: 
The timings above are all based on two steaks in the pan. I tried putting more and the steaks turned out too uncooked. So if there are three steaks, perhaps you can fry it for 15 to 20 seconds more per side.

4 comments:

  1. I just got the Happy call pan & was looking for the how to use it to cook steak. (That was actually my main objective in getting the pan, so to have less smoke in kitchen.) Thanks very much for posting - your timing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you found this helpful! More experimentation is still required though - for example, my timings were based on "longer" steaks. I used it on tenderloins today (smaller and rounder) and it turned out too cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna try the above using Wahgyu beef that I just bought.. Sure no oil needed?? Okay.. will see what comes out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full burner gas? Have tried using lower flame as recommended but seems to take significantly longer.

    ReplyDelete