Friday, June 15, 2012

Mythbusting #2

I am sure all of us have heard this before.

"Don't pluck your white hairs! If you pluck one, three more white ones would grow out!"

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and silly myths ever, but many people still believe it. If it is true, it means that to grow more hair, I can just start plucking away all my white hairs. I will end up with three times the hair I plucked out, and I can just dye all of them black and end up with a shining mane of black hair. Duh! 

As for the research, the best I got was from here. It basically says that our hair turns white when the pigmentation cells in the follicle surrounding the hair die. When a hair is plucked, a new one should grow in its place, assuming that you are not balding. As the pigment cells are no longer producing pigment, this new hair will also be white. But one follicle only produces one strand of hair, so surrounding hairs will definitely not turn white after you pluck one. And that follicle alone will obviously not cause three more white hairs to sprout from a single root!

No comments:

Post a Comment