Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's just an exam

I sat for level one of the CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst) exam a few days ago at International Plaza. Security was tight - to the extent that I felt it was a bit overboard. 

After confirming that I was sitting for the CAIA exam, the counter staff started the security procedures.

"Your primary ID please." 

I handed her my NRIC. 

"Okay, now for your secondary ID."

I handed her my driving licence.

"We can't accept this. I need something with your signature, like your passport."

I stammered "Uhh... err... I didn't bring it..."

"How about your credit card? It has your signature, so it should suffice."

So I dug through my pockets and passed her my credit card.

"Okay, now can you place your right palm on the scanner?"

I did what she asked me to.

"Now for your left palm."

"Right palm again."

"Left palm again."

"Right. Left. Okay, done."

Finally, I thought. 

"Now, can you sit here and face the web camera? We need to take a picture of you. Don't move until I say so."

What the? 

"All right, we are done. Can you now keep your bag in the locker? You are only allowed to bring in your calculator and NRIC. You will need to take off your watch too."

The locker was a bit too small for my backpack and I had to force the door close in order to lock it. Then I proceeded to the examination room, where I was greeted by another staff.

"Here, please sign in by scanning your palm here." 

Okaaaaay....

"Sir, your calculator - you can't bring the case in. Can you keep it in your locker?"

Back to the locker again, and I repeated the process of cramming my bag in and forcing the locker door shut. Then I returned.

"Now, please empty your pockets to ensure that you did not bring in anything unauthorised." 

I emptied my pockets and discovered that my net worth just increased by fifty cents. 

"Oh, I didn't realise that I have a fifty-cent coin here. It shouldn't be an issue, right?" I asked.

"No, you can't bring it in. Please put it back in your locker." 

What the f...? Third round of bag cramming and locker door shutting. 

"Okay, you can now go in. This is your computer terminal."

I peered at the monitor. On it was written 'Candidate number 46411' ... with my picture below. This is getting hardcore. It's just an examination, for goodness sake. While it is good to ensure that examination standards are not compromised, doing it to this extent is definitely going overboard, in my opinion. 

Assuming I pass, I will need to go through this one more time when I sit for level two in half a year's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment