Thursday, March 8, 2012

Too poor to afford apps?

Ever since I got my iPhone in 2010, some people have been asking me why I did not jailbreak it. My reply was, I don't see the need to. I don't need the extra features gained by jailbreaking, and I would prefer not to ruin the iPhone experience - of going to the App Store, choosing an app that I want, keying in my password, and voila - the app goes into my phone. 

Then I ask them in return - why did they jailbreak their iPhone? The most common response is, naturally, to avoid paying for apps. 

But are apps really that expensive? Most of the apps are free, and even if they do need money, they usually cost only USD0.99 or a bit more. I find the cost to be very reasonable, so I don't mind paying for it. 

What irks me is when they counter with this:

"You very rich, you can pay for the apps. I very poor, no money..." 

I find this extremely disgusting. Is USD0.99 really a lot? It's just around S$1.25, for goodness sake. If you choose not to upsize your McDonald's meal, you can already buy almost two USD0.99 apps. (And it does you good too not to upsize.) If you choose not to order a Coke when you visit a restaurant, you can buy three such apps. And if you decide to forego a Starbucks Frappuccino, heck, you can buy five such apps. These apps will be there in your phone for as long as you want. 

This scene can be compared to years ago, when pirated games for Playstations could be bought for just a few dollars. It made sense to buy pirated games, because an original game can cost more than S$70, which can be considered expensive even for a working adult. 

But hey, an app costs just a little more than a dollar. Are you telling me that you can't afford that, considering the fact that you could afford getting an iPhone and that you are earning an income now?

If you are stingy and refuse to pay for apps, so be it. But don't attribute it to me being rich enough to afford apps while you can't. Because you definitely can.

No comments:

Post a Comment