Saturday, March 3, 2012

Morton's The Steakhouse @ Mandarin Oriental Hotel

Morton's The Steakhouse - the best place for steak in Singapore, and is a paradise for all beef lovers. Brought my family here to celebrate my father's birthday, as he loves beef. (It helps that I love beef too.) And Morton's serves US beef, which really stands head and shoulders over most other types of beef.

I had actually made a reservation several weeks back, and had quite a few requests - for them to print my father's name on their menu, and an order of three prime ribs (two centre cuts, one end cut). If it's a birthday celebration, they will offer a free dessert. Being wine-lovers more than dessert-lovers (my father and I, that is), I asked if they could change the free dessert to free corkage instead, because their corkage costs a staggering $60. And they agreed, so my father happily brought one of his best wines to pair with one of the best steaks in Singapore.

I had been to Morton's before and knew that their steak sizes were huge. But still, I underestimated it and when the three prime ribs arrived, I knew that there is no way the four of us could finish it. I think they weighed more than 2kg easily in total!


Morton's Prime Rib - end cut ($118)
I ordered this end cut mainly for my mother, as she doesn't like her beef to be too raw. The end cut was supposed to be done more towards medium. The charred sides were undoubtedly the best parts - wonderfully delicious, slightly crispy, and a bit salty due to the salt seasoning. But the thicker side of this cut was still a bit too raw. When we told the waiter about it, he took it back immediately to cook it a bit more. When it came back, it was perfect.


Morton's Prime Rib - centre cut ($118)
This was the centre cut, so it was more raw - more to medium rare, which is the preferred doneness for me, my father, and my brother. This was also fantastic and juicy. Although the prime ribs are quite expensive at $118 each, it was really worth every cent - and it was already sufficient for two people to share.


Morton's Salad ($22), Steak Fries ($18)
While some may balk at the price of their steak fries ($18!), it was really good. Fried to perfection, and even after some time, it was still crispy - unlike other fries that lose their crispiness in a short while. My mother loved this. 

The Morton's Salad was quite good, but I personally prefer their Center Cut Iceberg, which I tried during my previous visit. The blue cheese taste was a bit too bland for the Morton's Salad.

Other than the food being fantastic, I must say that their service also matched their food quality. A few of their waiters greeted my father by name and wished him happy birthday. The waiter who attended to us was also very friendly, attentive, and helpful. 

Now, when should my next visit to Morton's be? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment