Saturday, April 14, 2012

Riders Cafe @ Bukit Timah Saddle Club

Finally had the chance to visit Riders Cafe, a favourite brunch area for many people. It is always full, so I only managed to get a table because I had made an online reservation 1.5 weeks in advance.

Located at Bukit Timah Saddle Club, you definitely need a car to access this area, or add two cab fares to the total bill. The place had a colonial feel to it, and when we arrived at around 830am, every table had a 'Reserved' tag on it. The waiter claimed that the balcony seats were the most popular, but we didn't pick them as they were under direct sunlight.


Every table is reserved



The view from the balcony

Freshly brewed coffee, $3
$3 for a cup of black coffee at such a place is quite reasonable. Hummerstons charged $5.50 for a cup, which was almost twice the price. Which was why I ordered two cups here.


Smoked Salmon and Creamed Eggs, $14
While I don't usually order scrambled eggs, I must say this was quite well done. The scrambled eggs were quite smooth and moist, with some unknown yellow sauce on top (refer to picture). My guess is that they drizzled a bit of uncooked scrambled eggs on top of it? The smoked salmon was also different from the usual smoked salmon - it felt a bit more meaty and chewy, and was lighter in colour as well. There was a layer of avacado hiding below the eggs, which was an interesting addition.


Blackstone Benedict, $15
One of their well-known dishes, which comes with bacon, tomatoes, poached eggs, and hollandaise sauce on sourdough bread. I read very good reviews on this, so I had rather high expectations for it. But it disappointed me. The poached eggs were a little too cooked, and the egg whites tasted too much of vinegar. And maybe it was just me, but I thought that the tomatoes didn't really go well with the dish. 


The verdict? Riders Cafe is a bit overrated. The food was definitely not as fantastic as I expected, though I must say the ambience was pretty good, especially when your eyes are treated to a splash of greenery outside and horses walking leisurely, and your nose to some really fresh air (and a bit of horse manure). But as a place to chill, it is a victim of its own popularity, as many people would find it hard to just sit there for a long time with a long line of people queuing outside. Nevertheless, it warrants a second visit. And next time, I will order "The Usual" - eggs, back bacon, breakfast banger, mushrooms, tomato, and sourdough. For $16, I think it's pretty worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment